Easter
I saw some of my family this weekend. Actually, allow me to clarify. I saw exactly 21/26 (myself and Bren not included in those numbers - if you're that much of a stickler, then, 23/28) of my mom's side of the family...her sisters, brother and all the respective kids, husbands, wives, etc... You get the idea - it was quite the show. Two turkey dinners...actually three in three days (one on Fri w/ Bren's fam as well as the two on the weekend).
Pretty fun times, I must say. But SO tiring. Being with family that you haven't seen for a long time is exhausting - you feel like you are always ON. It's good to reconnect, though. Met my newest cousin for the first time - Keira Hopkins. She is absolutely adorable, and the perfect blend of her parents - she doesn't look like one or the other so much as she looks like both of them together.
Anyway - it's times like tonight that I wish life was normal. I would love to be able to do things that normal people do (what is that, anyway?) but unfortunately, I don't have that ability. I work weird hours at two jobs, and I'm trying to finish school off strong when every bone in my body is screaming at me to just give up and coast.
But I am encouraged by small things (or big things - depends on my attitude) - Bren got a new job (sing Doxology here), we got to go visit family this weekend, Bren got a new job (sing Doxology again)...you get the idea. I hate cliches as much as the next guy (unless the next guy happens to have the nickname "cliche king") but it truly is about how you look at things. It's easy as a Christian to fall into the trap of believing that no matter what happens you are supposed to be happy. At least - for me it is easy to believe that is how it is supposed to be. Maybe this is common sense for others, but it's work for me - to understand that I can be joyful without being "happy". Big step for me to "get" the difference there.
Anyway, not here to preach - not my calling. Plus, my crappy little monitor is singing me a high-pitched tune that is giving me a wicked headache.
cheers, yeah.
ash
Pretty fun times, I must say. But SO tiring. Being with family that you haven't seen for a long time is exhausting - you feel like you are always ON. It's good to reconnect, though. Met my newest cousin for the first time - Keira Hopkins. She is absolutely adorable, and the perfect blend of her parents - she doesn't look like one or the other so much as she looks like both of them together.
Anyway - it's times like tonight that I wish life was normal. I would love to be able to do things that normal people do (what is that, anyway?) but unfortunately, I don't have that ability. I work weird hours at two jobs, and I'm trying to finish school off strong when every bone in my body is screaming at me to just give up and coast.
But I am encouraged by small things (or big things - depends on my attitude) - Bren got a new job (sing Doxology here), we got to go visit family this weekend, Bren got a new job (sing Doxology again)...you get the idea. I hate cliches as much as the next guy (unless the next guy happens to have the nickname "cliche king") but it truly is about how you look at things. It's easy as a Christian to fall into the trap of believing that no matter what happens you are supposed to be happy. At least - for me it is easy to believe that is how it is supposed to be. Maybe this is common sense for others, but it's work for me - to understand that I can be joyful without being "happy". Big step for me to "get" the difference there.
Anyway, not here to preach - not my calling. Plus, my crappy little monitor is singing me a high-pitched tune that is giving me a wicked headache.
cheers, yeah.
ash

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home